Every fanbase has that group of celebrities everyone loves and you just cannot get the appeal of. This is mine. It is not a hate list or an attempt to cancel anyone, just the actors and actresses who throw me off the second they show up on screen, talented or not.
The Men
Taron Egerton: He goes first since he is the easiest to actually explain. There is nothing wrong with him exactly, he is just missing that extra gear, the thing that makes me sit forward. Black Bird is probably the best thing he has done, that Apple TV+ miniseries opposite Paul Walter Hauser, and even there Hauser was the highlight for me. Kingsman is still his biggest commercial win, and he is fine as Eggsy, but he was never the reason people showed up. Carry-On is the more recent example. That Netflix Christmas Eve thriller against Jason Bateman ended up being one of the platform's biggest debuts in recent memory, which is great for him, but if you ask me, he was the wrong pick for the lead. The role needed someone who could sell quiet desperation, and Egerton plays everything a little too boyish for that tension to build properly.
Matt Damon: A completely different situation. With pretty much everyone else on this list I have at least sat through their filmography. Not him. If we are counting the Bourne movies that is cheating, since that was my mom's TV choice when I was a kid and I definitely was not paying attention. Never went back after that. No specific incident, no bad performance I can point to, I just never bothered, and two decades later it is basically permanent.
Michael B. Jordan: He comes off as a genuinely nice guy every time I see him interviewed, which makes it harder to explain why I do not care more. People always bring up Black Panther as his big mainstream moment, but honestly that film gets more credit than it deserves, and his performance in it does not change that for me. Outside those, he is fine in a few things I have seen. Just fine. Nothing pulls me toward whatever he does next. I haven't even seen Creed.
Channing Tatum: He does not really need explaining. I do not care, I never have, and I do not expect that to change.
Christian Bale: The hardest one to justify, because objectively he is one of the best actors working right now. The transformations, the accents, the way he vanishes into a role instead of just playing it, all real, all deserved. I am just not a fan.
Terrence Howard: A bit more personal. It is his voice, something about it makes me tune out the second he is on screen. There is one silver lining though: he played James Rhodey Rhodes in the first Iron Man and was originally supposed to come back for the sequel. That did not happen, reportedly over a pay dispute with the studio, and Don Cheadle took over instead. Both of them have said it is water under the bridge now. I am just relieved it worked out that way, because Iron Man 2 with the original casting would have been rough for me to sit through.
The Women
Gal Gadot: She tests my patience the most out of everyone here, because the acting itself just is not good. She seems warm and likable enough in interviews, which almost makes it worse, since people extend her a grace the performances themselves do not earn. The first Wonder Woman got away with a lot because the character was a fish out of water by design, so playing stiff and unsure actually worked in her favor. The sequel removed that safety net completely, and suddenly the limitations were impossible to ignore. I think a lot of people who fell for the first movie quietly noticed during the second, and honestly, that correction was way overdue.
Ruby Rose: She has built a whole career around one expression, and it shows up whether the scene calls for it or not. She broke out on Orange Is the New Black, moved into a run of action roles like Resident Evil, xXx, and John Wick: Chapter 2, and eventually landed the lead on Batwoman. She just tries too hard if you ask me.
Gwyneth Paltrow: Harder to put a finger on. It is not one bad role I can point to, more just a general presence that feels off. Her voice, the way she carries herself on camera, something about her always seems slightly removed from everyone else in the scene, like she is not quite from around here. I cannot prove it yet. Still working on that theory.
Joey King: Probably the least fair entry on here, because I do not think this is really about her acting at all. It is her face. Something about it just does not work for me on screen, even though she seems perfectly likable whenever I catch her in interviews. So this one might say more about me being petty than anything about her actual performances. Fair enough, I will take that one on the chin.
So who is on yours?
The actor or actress you cannot fully explain not liking, nothing to do with talent, just something that never clicked. Drop the name in the comments.
Comments
Post a Comment