People keep asking me if I've fallen out of love with anime, and honestly, no. I don't think I have. I can throw on Attack on Titan right now and still lose my whole evening to it like it's the first time. I am also counting down to Haikyuu and Vinland Saga like a kid waiting for Christmas. So no, this is not a "I'm quitting anime" post. If I were truly done, none of that would move me. So whatever this feeling is, it's not burnout on the medium itself. It's something else.
It's not that I hate what's airing. It's that I sit down to start a new show, scroll through my list, and just... close the app. Nothing pulls me in anymore. And when I do force myself to commit to something and it turns out to be average, I don't just shrug it off like I used to. I feel drained, like I wasted something I can't get back. So let's actually dig into this, because I don't think it's as simple as "anime bad now."
So what's actually going on then?
I think it's two things happening at once, and they're feeding into each other.
The first is just how much is out there now. Anime isn't the niche thing you had to dig for anymore, it's a full blown industry pumping out shows nonstop. Netflix alone logged 4.4 billion anime viewing hours in the first half of 2025, and that's just one platform. That's not counting Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, or whatever else is fighting for your watch time. One single season right now can drop sequels for Jujutsu Kaisen, Frieren, Vigilantes, Hell's Paradise, Oshi no Ko, Golden Kamuy, a new Fate, and Fire Force's ending, all in the same three months. Add in the smaller isekai and slice of life shows nobody's even talking about and it's just noise. Too much noise.
When there's this much to choose from, picking wrong feels expensive. You commit six episodes to something, it goes nowhere, and now you've lost time you can't get back. So instead of picking anything, I just... don't pick. I scroll and close the app. It feels like decision paralysis dressed up as fatigue.
The second thing, and this is the one I'm less comfortable admitting, is that I think I've just gotten pickier with age. Not old in a sad way, just old in a "I know what I like and I don't have patience for filler anymore" way. When I was younger I'd sit through a slow first ten episodes because everyone said it gets good later. Now I don't have that patience, and when a show turns out average after I gave it my time, it stings more than it used to.
The solo leveling gut check

Solo Leveling is the clearest example of what I mean. The hype for this show was massive, I went in expecting to be floored, and what I got was a lot of flashy power up moments stapled onto a story I've basically seen a hundred times. Weak guy gets secret power, becomes strongest hunter, and everyone who doubted him regrets it. The animation is gorgeous by the way, I'm not taking that away from it. But gorgeous animation around a plot I could predict from episode two just isn't enough for me right now.
Isekai is not helping matters
Then there's isekai, which has gotten so saturated that shows now use the entire title as the plot summary.
Ever heard of Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon? I'm not kidding. It's a real show where a man dies and comes back as a sentient vending machine in a fantasy dungeon. It ran three whole seasons from 2023 to 2026 and people liked it for how weird it is. I'm not even mad it exists, I'm mad that this is a normal Tuesday now and nobody blinks.
And it's not just the weird ones. Even the standard power fantasy shows have caught the same disease. The Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids: A Tank with a Rare 9999 Resistance Skill Got Kicked from the Hero's Party is basically a full sentence, not a title. Same with Even Given the Worthless [Appraiser] Class, I'm Actually the Strongest, which tells you the entire twist before you've even pressed play. Nobody scrolling past these needs to read a synopsis, the title already spoiled it for them.
I found out that this actually started because readers stopped reading descriptions, so the title had to do the summarizing instead, and it worked well enough that every studio copied it. Now it's an endless line of "I Got Reincarnated As X And Now I'm Overpowered In This Specific Way" shows, just with the specific way swapped out each show. The titles keep getting longer because the ideas keep getting thinner. When a title needs fifteen words to explain the premise, the story inside usually doesn't have fifteen words worth of anything new to say.
Standing in front of that wall of near identical shows every year is exhausting on its own, separate from whether any individual show is good or bad. It's just a lot to wade through to find the one thing that might actually be worth my time.
Maybe I'm just older now
I keep circling back to this because I think it might just be the real answer. When I was younger, average was fine. I had time to burn, I could sit through a mediocre show without a care in the world. Now, time feels tighter, and when I actually clear space to sit down and watch something, I want it to be worth it. An average show doesn't just feel average anymore, it feels like a loss. Like I could've used those hours on a rewatch that I know would've delivered, or on one of the handful of upcoming shows I'm actually excited about. Honestly, I could've just taken a nap and gotten more out of it.
That's probably the grumpy old lady talking, but I think there's something honest in it too. I'm not less interested in anime. I'm less interested in gambling my limited time on things that might not pay off.
So am I tired of anime or not?
No. I keep coming back to that answer every time I think this through. What I'm actually tired of is the noise, and I'm less patient than I used to be when a show doesn't earn my time quickly. Those two things together can look like burnout from the outside, but they're not the same as losing interest in the medium.
The fix isn't quitting anime. It's probably getting more selective, leaning harder on recommendations I trust instead of chasing whatever's trending, and giving myself permission to drop something the moment it stops working for me instead of finishing it out of obligation.
Anyone else feel like this, where it's less "I hate anime now" and more "nothing's grabbing me"?
Tell me in the comments, what's the last show that actually pulled you in, no forcing required?
Comments
Post a Comment