I already wrote about the best movies I've watched so far this year, so it only feels right to flip it and talk about the bad ones too. These are the movies that either just didn't work for me, or were so bad they somehow became good again. My apologies in advance if you loved anything on this list.
I'm counting down from number 10, the least painful of the bunch, all the way to number 1, the one that hurt the most.
10. Goat (2026) - My rating: 6.2
This is an animated sports comedy from Sony Pictures Animation, the same studio behind the Spider-Verse movies. It follows Will, a small goat who gets a shot to play roarball, a basketball-style sport dominated by bigger, fiercer animals. The animation is genuinely good. I like the artstyle, it's got that same stylized energy you'd expect from the Spider-Verse team.
But the story is so predictable I could see every beat coming from a mile away. It's just an hour and 39 minutes of average. Not bad, just forgettable.
09. Anaconda (2025) - My rating: 6.0
I actually tried avoiding this one for a while before I finally caved and watched it. Anaconda is a meta comedy where Jack Black and Paul Rudd play lifelong friends who decide to remake their favorite cult movie from childhood, the original 1997 Anaconda, deep in the Amazon. Of course, a real giant anaconda shows up and turns their shoot into a survival situation.
It's just so fucking stupid, and a little cringe if I'm honest. I don't know how much they paid Paul Rudd and Jack Black to be in this, but it feels like a lot for how dumb the whole thing is.
08. Whistle (2026) - My rating: 5.7
This is a horror mystery about a group of high school misfits who find an ancient Aztec death whistle. Blow it, and the sound summons your future death to come hunt you down. It was just so bland and boring. Imagine a boring horror movie.
The acting is subpar, the scares are weak, nothing about this one really worked. It's honestly so disappointing, especially with a premise that had real potential.
07. War Machine (2026) - My rating: 5.4
This one switched genres on me halfway through and I was not ready for it. It starts as a grounded military drama about a soldier going through Army Ranger training, and then suddenly we're in alien shooting machine territory. What the hell?
The acting is decent, Alan Ritchson is a believable lead, but my goodness is the plot dumb. It plays like a cheaper Predator with a Transformers paint job, and it never quite earns the tonal whiplash it puts you through.
06. Mercy (2026) - My rating: 5.0
This one stars Chris Pratt and Rebecca Ferguson. The premise is actually interesting on paper: a detective accused of murdering his wife has 90 minutes to prove his innocence to an AI judge. But in execution, it's just Chris Pratt's face for the entire runtime since his character is strapped to a chair the whole movie.
If you want a movie that uses this kind of screen-and-camera setup well, just go watch Missing or Searching instead. Those actually use the format to build tension. This one just traps you in a room with Pratt's face.
05. Jurassic World Dominion (2022) - My rating: 4.7
Story-wise, this is shite. They brought back the original Jurassic Park characters, Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, and I just did not care. The 4.7 rating exists purely because of the dinosaurs.
Take those away and this movie gets a 1 from me, easy. It's a perfect example of a franchise running on fumes and hoping nostalgia covers for a lack of actual story.
04. Shelter (2026) - My rating: 4.5
A typical Jason Statham film, through and through. He plays a former MI6 assassin hiding out on a remote Scottish island who ends up protecting a young girl after rescuing her during a storm. It's predictable from start to finish, and the action scenes are pretty meh by Statham standards.
But I will always support Jason. The man knows his lane and he stays in it, even when the movie itself isn't doing him any favors.
03. The VelociPastor (2018) - My rating: 4.0
Oh boy. This is a micro-budget film made for around $35,000, about a priest who turns into a velociraptor and fights ninjas. It is so bad it's actually good. The acting is shite, the effects are even worse, the action scenes are terrible in the most charming way possible.
I had an absolute blast watching this one. It fully knows what it is and commits to the bit completely, and that's exactly why it works.
02. The Last Airbender (2010) - My rating: 3.0
Awful. Just awful. This is the 2010 M. Night Shyamalan movie based on the genuinely excellent animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender. Character names got pronounced wrong, the elemental bending looked stiff and lame on screen, and he changed so many things that made the original show so good and somehow ruined nearly all of it.
Fans have memed this movie so hard over the years that some genuinely joke it doesn't exist. I understand why.
01. Kung Fu Panda 4 (2024) - My rating: 2.0
This movie was not needed. Everything about it sucked. The moral lesson felt recycled, the Furious Five barely show up despite being a core part of the franchise's identity, the plot is thin, and the villain is weak as hell.
They just shat all over a franchise that used to actually mean something, and I am still livid about it months later.
Did any of your least favorites make this list? Or am I about to start a fight in the comments?
Let me know what you'd add to my worst-of pile. I clearly have room for more disappointment in my life.
Comments
Post a Comment